Oxfords are the basic dress shoes every man should have in his wardrobe and are my favorite out of all. They are very simple yet elegant and stylish, so you can wear them to a wide range of events.
What are Oxfords
Oxford shoes feature closed lacing system, low heels and an exposed ankle. Closed lacing system means that the vamp (front of the shoe) is sewn on top of the quarters (back of the shoe) and the shoelace eyelets facings are stitched underneath the vamp, unlike the open lacing system of the Derby shoe. Initially oxfords were just simple leather dress shoes, but through the years the design evolved greatly and now we can find oxfords of various styles, fabrics and with different additional decorative elements. All of these makes them look good with both formal and smart casual styles.
Sometimes Oxfords can look like Brogues, because of the decorative perforations or pattering, but they are still Oxfords.
When to wear Oxfords
As you already know, they are perfect for both formal and informal occasions. Oxfords have a polished and impeccable look, so they match any suit perfectly, especially if you choose a black leather pair. Don’t forget about the width of the shoe, because generally slimmer Oxfords look more elegant.
What about smart casual events, Oxfords work good whether you have a night out, go on a date or just want to take a walk. You simply need to find stylish chinos or elegant jeans and wear something comfortable and dressy on top.
Colors of Oxford shoes:
Must-have for every man as it is the basic color to wear for business. Black Oxfords are most versatile and can be matched with nearly every color and look.
Brown leather Oxfords look perfect with navy, dark brown or grey outfit. If you pair this colors with brown Oxfords be sure that you will stand out from the crowd.
Nowadays tan is known as one of the most popular colors, it has dark and light tones. Tan is the easiest color to pair with and is a good match for almost everything. The perfect choice for less formal wear, looks good with navy pants, denim trousers or bright colored chinos.
How to wear Oxford shoes:
You can wear them with a suit, trousers or pants and look the part anyway. Oxfords are the perfect match for any official outfit thanks to their elegant look. So, if you are going on a date, to the office or a wedding, you can boldly choose Oxfords as they will suit any of these events. Don’t forget to match your Oxfords and pants right in terms of style and color and then you will kill the look.
The combination of Oxfords and chinos represents a perfect smart casual look. I advise to choose calm colors for both so you will have more balanced appearance. For example, black or brown Oxfords perfectly suit black, brown or navy chinos. For more elegant look wear a long-sleeve blazer or a shirt. If you intend to have a more relaxed outfit, go for short-sleeved shirt or T-shirt.
Don’t think that dress shoes can’t be worn with jeans. Surprisingly, Oxfords can look really classy with jeans if you match them right and pay attention to the color of your jeans and shoes. For a more smart look, you can pair tan shoes with blue jeans, while brown and black Oxfords better match navy or black jeans. To complete your look, wear a long-sleeved shirt or a blazer on top.
Tips for wearing Oxfords:
- Polish them. You should avoid shoe creasing but always keep them look shining. Remember that shoes are the first thing people notice when they see you.
- Wear black Oxfords with a suit. It is the most classic combination and works good at any time.
- Get brown suede Oxfords. This pair will be the best choice for more informal events.
- Experiment. Oxfords are really versatile and you can easily combine different outfits as long as colors are properly matched.
- Don’t wear them with shorts. It is absolute no-no. You can wear Brogues, Derbys and some other shoes with shorts, but if you suddenly pair Oxfords with shorts, you will look really out of place.
- Don’t wear them all the time. Oxfords look really stylish and suit many different outfits and events, but there are other options. This pair may be your favorite but don’t forget to diversify your style from time to time.
- Don’t wear them only with a suit. Initially Oxfords were worn mostly with a suit, but times change. Nowadays you have a big choice of outfits they can be paired with so please use it.
Alessandro Rocco Pietrocola is an entrepreneur and investor based in London and operating mainly in Europe, Asia and Oceania with main focus on UK, Baltic Countries, Russia, China, Hong Kong, Malaysia, Singapore, Middle East and New Zealand as area of interest! At the moment is the CEO of Astorts Group. He is an UK FCA (Financial Conduct Authority) Approved Person and is has great experience as director of regulated companies. He uses to dedicate part of his life to inspire others and help them achieve the most out of their life. Since he was 20, he had successfully founded and managed several companies operating in the field of management consulting, wealth management and fintech. He loves travelling, he is a cigars lover, an amateur golfer and a dapper man.