Initially boat shoes were designed for sailors to avoid slipping on the boat deck. But soon other people also noticed advantages of such shoes and they became one of the most popular trends in the menswear.
The most versatile item in your wardrobe that can be worn with jeans and chinos as well. Boat shoes have non-slip rubber sole and usually are made of a leather or canvas with laces on top and around the sides. The perfect pair for a warmer weather.
There is a big choice of different materials, colors and designs of boat shoes and today I would like to share with you some tips about the way you should wear them and the things to avoid.
When to wear Boat Shoes
- You can wear them to theIf you follow the smart casual style, boat shoes will be the right choice. You will still look the part without any exaggeration.
- You can wear them to the beach or while traveling. As you already know, boat shoes were made for maritime activities, so it is more than appropriate to have a stroll in them by the ocean. You can easily put them on and take them off. This type of shoes is fairly considered as one of the most comfortable.
- You can wear them on a Ladies like stylish men and often pay attention to what they wear. Wearing these shoes helps you not only to start a conversation, but also will make a proper first impression on her.
- Wear them during the cold months: Obviously, these shoes were made for the warmer weather, so if you wear them in winter you risk your feet getting wet and may look out of place.
- Wear them for the official events: Boat shoes are inappropriate for black-tie affairs, they don’t work with a tux or a tie.
How to Wear Boat Shoes
- Wear them with shorts: that’s the best match for these shoes. But always remember if one item is bright, detailed and draws attention, the other should be more ordinary and plain-colored.
- Wear them with jeans: boat shoes look great with denim. You can roll up your jeans’ cuff to make sure the whole shoe is visible.
- Wear them with colorful chinos: you should be careful with matching chinos and boat shoes. The main thing is not to overload you look, everything should be balanced. If you choose any bright color for your chinos, make sure the boat shoes are more neutral.
- Wear them with suites: As you already know boat shoes are not suitable for an official look. Better wear some dress shoes or switch your style to a business casual.
- Wear them with socks: If you do this, people will think you have absolutely no sense of style, it will only destroy your look. Never wear socks under the boat shoes until they are not visible at all.
If you want your shoes to last longer, don’t forget about care. Most of the people wear boat shoes without socks and it leads to one big problem – odor. Fortunately, you can get rid of it easily by putting kitty litter, dryer sheets, baby powder or tea bags inside your shoes for a night. To prevent any stains, use special spray. In case you already have a stain on a shoe, don’t apply any water or stain remover, better just brush it, but only in one direction, otherwise you will scratch it. No water and less sun are the perfect way to keep your shoes brightly colored.
Boat shoes are very flexible and comfortable. You can wear them in many cases: if you spend the summer at the beach, on the boat, or also in the office. These shoes are a nice replacement for flip-flops and even dress shoes.
Alessandro Rocco Pietrocola is an entrepreneur and investor based in London and operating mainly in Europe, Asia and Oceania with main focus on UK, Baltic Countries, Russia, China, Hong Kong, Malaysia, Singapore, Middle East and New Zealand as area of interest! At the moment is the Ceo of Astorts Group. He is an UK FCA (Financial Conduct Authority) Approved Person and is has great experience as director of regulated companies. He uses to dedicate part of his life to inspire others and help them achieve the most out of their life. Since he was 20, he had successfully founded and managed several companies operating in the field of management consulting, wealth management and fintech. He loves travelling, he is a cigars lover, an amateur golfer and a dapper man.