What is a CDN and does your website need one? In this article, I will explain what a CDN is and how it affects your site’s stats and search engine rankings.
With a CDN, you can significantly improve your site’s Google rankings as it improves your site’s loading speed. Slow loading speed is the main reason why users leave the site.
What is CDN
CDN (Content Delivery Network) is a geographically distributed network infrastructure that provides fast delivery of content to users of web services and sites. The servers included in the CDN are geographically located in such a way as to minimize the response time for users of the site / service.
The essence of a CDN is to distribute servers to different geographic locations as the further the user is from the original server, the longer the “original” response time.
CDN hosting is a server that caches part of the content or the entire page.
A bit of history
CDN providers began to appear in the late 1990s. As early as 2004, more than 3000 companies were using CDNs; total content delivery costs were up to $ 20 million per month.
What is a CDN for?
- CDN helps to minimize response time for website / service users.
- CDN also helps to reduce the risk of losing access to content due to a fall of the main server. The content will be available all the time while you restore the main server to work.
- CDN helps offload the server and alternates loading between static and dynamic content. Different types of content create a double load on the server. Static content uses RAM, while dynamic content depends on network speed.
- CDNs are also actively used to distribute streaming content.
How to know if you need a CDN
- If your site has a large audience in different regions or countries. So that the download speed does not depend on the geography of users, нщг сфт choose CDN hosting.
- If you are a developer of a mobile application. CDN technology is also used if the project has a mobile application and it needs to work quickly.
- If you distribute gaming, multimedia content
How to choose the right CDN provider?
Pay attention to the number of points of presence and match them to your audience.
Analyze the additional functions of the provider, whether it supports the technologies and protocols you need (HTTP / 2, IPv6, SSL certificates, and others).
Here is my list of the 5 best CDN providers
1.Akamai is the most famous provider in the market, which was found in 1998. Akamai now has about 275,000 servers in 136 countries around the world.
2.Cloudflare CDN is a network represented in 100 countries. CDN has been providing services since 2010. Also, their servers process not only static, but also dynamic content.
3.G-Core Labs is a network headquartered in Luxembourg and an infrastructure of 100+ points of presence on 5 continents
4.Fastly is an American cloud provider. Has offices in the United States and London. Used by the Shopify
5.CDN77 is a British network with presence in over 20 countries. Its services are often used by organizers of online broadcasts. Among their clients are NASA, the educational service Udemy, the developer of the ESet antivirus, and the Sport1 TV channel.
Does your business need a CDN? Share your opinion in the comments below! I will be happy to answer any questions or submit your project to my team at Astorts Group for evaluation.
Alessandro Rocco Pietrocola is an entrepreneur and investor based in London and operating mainly in Europe, Asia and Oceania with main focus on UK, Baltic Countries, Russia, China, Hong Kong, Malaysia, Singapore, Middle East and New Zealand as area of interest! At the moment is the CEO of Astorts Group. He is an UK FCA (Financial Conduct Authority) Approved Person and is has great experience as director of regulated companies. He uses to dedicate part of his life to inspire others and help them achieve the most out of their life. Since he was 20, he had successfully founded and managed several companies operating in the field of management consulting, wealth management and fintech. He loves travelling, he is a cigars lover, an amateur golfer and a dapper man.